A Force For Good videoed and counted the SNP/ScotNat march today in Dunfermline (1-9-18).
As usual, we've meticulously analysed the video evidence and counted the number of marchers.
Who We Did Not Count
1. We did not count children under 14, since they are only there because they are being coerced by their parents. Again, as with Dundee, there were only a few of these young children.
2. We did not count people walking down the pavement, since these were just people going about their business – unless they had a flag or an identifying symbol showing that they were part of the march, in which case they were counted in.
3. We did not count people who looked as if they were professional camera people – identifiable by carrying the professional kit. There were only a handful of them anyway.
4. We did not count a couple on the march who looked like St John's Ambulance people.
5. We used a streetlight pole, as the point at which to count them passing. We ended our count when the final Police Van passed us.
Here is our video footage.
The march begins with "Bikers" passing, and then there is a waiting period before the walkers pass, beginning at 6.48. The event ends when the Police Van passes us at 12.20.
The Numbers at the Event
The event began with "Bikers" driving down the High Street.
We included passengers sitting on the back of the bikes (or inside a hooded 3-wheeler). There were 62 people on bikes.
The walkers were led by a group of people leading a horse with 'Yes' stickers on it (for some reason).
The entire walk passed us in 5 minutes and 32 seconds.
Between the beginning of the walk, to the final Police Van passing our counting point, there were 429 marchers. Therefore, if we add the 62 on bikes, we get 491.
A huge thank you to our 21 activists today! Yes, we counted ourselves meticulously too – and unlike the ScotNats, we don't lie about our numbers!
If you like the fact that we are revealing the true numbers at these marches, then we need you to help us keep doing it! We are destroying their propaganda with this tactic.
We need more people to stand with us. If you've got what it takes, then please contact us.
We also need more people to help us with photography and doing things like loading pics instantly to Twitter/Social Media. We don't have this covered yet! There is plenty of colour at our events, and so if you're an amateur photographer, please pitch in!
If you can't stand with us, or help us in other ways please become a Union Supporter for only £5 a month here (£1.25 a week). It is the small core of "Union Supporter" donors, who ensure we can get to these events, and upon whom we rely utterly!